
How the "other half" lives (aka Jill's new ride...)

Furling on the port course brace

Copenhagen parking lot

Copenhagen conveyance

Concordia

Baltic sunrise

A moment at sea
September 27-29th
This is a holiday destination, an island popular with the citizens of Copenhagen. The town itself is Ronne, about the size of Kentville (without the crazy one-way traffic pattern). Our port stay is just a couple of days which should be about right. The weather is cool, windy and threatening, and while some of the available post cards suggest nude bathing is on offer, hypothermia is a likely result today! I think I'll catch up on e-mails and look around the town instead.
The planned cycle trip around the island was washed (and blown) out, so we took a bus to some castle ruins and wandered about there for a couple of hours.
It is blowing up a storm and we are heading back to sea in it! Lubeck, Germany is our next stop. I am wearing a patch behind an ear, along with the wrist bands, and my stomach is feeling fine.
September 30th
In honour of my birthday I had "happy birthday" sung to me at colours. I then experienced a blast of water from one of the fire hoses (also used to wash down the decks.) A bucket of water had served the purpose in previous birthday celebrations on board, so they upped the ante on this occasion! The students and the other teachers had made birthday cards, and at supper (dinner) time chocolate cup cakes
were served as a rare dessert. We put into Lubeck in the evening (a half-day early), and the staff and teachers took me out for beer and French fries!
October 1-3
The weather is overcast and raw so I will keep my umbrella handy. It has rained off and on for the past several days. (When packing for this adventure I followed, more or less, the suggested items in the instructions to the students. So I have five pairs of shorts and one pair of blue jeans. Given the temperatures experienced on the Baltic to date, a more appropriate allocation might well have been one pair
of shorts and five pairs of ?long johns?! It turns out that the Class Afloat office people based their packing list on last year's first term voyage which was in the south seas!)
We will have a walking tour of Lubeck (with a guide) tomorrow morning (Tuesday). In the early afternoon most of us are taking a train to Hamburg, about 90 minutes away. Many will be returning to the ship in the evening, although the university students are allowed to stay overnight (at a youth hostel).
Port mail delivery just came. I got a birthday card and letter and clipping from Claudia!
No comments:
Post a Comment