October 4th
We are doing a ship provisioning this morning before departure. The usual sailing day teaching schedule will be followed, with classes beginning at 1:00 PM. Jan the cook has purchased a big order. I think because he is German and knows his way around this area, he can strike a good bargain. We form a human chain and pass the boxes of provisions from one to another all the way from the truck on the dock, up the gang plank, along the deck to the galley hatch, down the stairs and along the companion way to the food stores. (A little later we used the same method to get the garbage bags to a truck for disposal.)
A photographer took a picture of all of us standing along the deck, water side, from a building across the channel. We wore our Class Afloat uniforms. I assume this event was arranged by the "powers that be".
The harbour pilot and his female coworker accompanied us from our berth, down river to where the channel widens out. They left the Concordia by negotiating a crossing to a pilot boat, this being accomplished while underway. (We are experiencing light rain and a modest breeze.) Just now there was a call for free hands on deck as we put up some sail.
October 5th - 11th, Lubeck to London
October 5th. It is a sunny, cool day with relatively calm seas. Our route to London has us traveling NNW through the Kattegat, Skayerrak, then into the North Sea. It is a longer route than through the Kiel Canal, but generally less expensive as the Canal authority charges a stiff tariff and, of course, the canal does not lend itself to sailing. The weather stayed fair throughout the day, and we were under sail from late afternoon on. (Throughout the rest of the day we were under power; what wind there was, was straight into our face. As we are in a busy shipping lane at the moment there is not much opportunity for tacking.)
October 6th. Today has been a perfect early fall day. There was barely a hint of wind so we motored along, but the skies were blue, the sun was warm and everyone seemed to get a lift. The meals were better than normal too, benefiting from the fresh supplies brought aboard the last day in port.
October 7th. Sailing conditions are more favourable with some wind, but the air is raw and the seas are picking up. We are now in the North Sea, following a shipping lane along the Danish coast.
October 8th. It was still dark when we began fitness at mid ships at 7:00AM. An oil rig was visible off the starboard side. No ships were in sight. We are well away from land at the moment. Our progress since departing Lubeck suggests that we will arrive in London on Thursday as scheduled. This evening we set the ship's clocks back by an hour to conform to UK time.
October 9th. This morning the student council (3) and the teachers, in cooperation with Jan the cook, were up early (6:00 AM) preparing a special breakfast for all on board. Ordinarily breakfast consists of dry cereal and sometimes a piece of fruit. One can appreciate how monotonous this can become. Today for a treat we had pancakes and maple syrup, sausages wrapped in bacon and hash browns!
The wind picked up considerably by mid afternoon and we were tossed about until well after midnight.
October 10th. We are still under sail this morning, although the wind has dropped off considerably. At colours it was announced that we are 120 nautical miles from London so we will be getting in on time by noon tomorrow. The shipping traffic is light at the moment. Lots of oil and gas wells are to be seen. I am feeling out of touch with the rest of the world as it has been six days since we left Lubeck. My Yankees may have triumphed in their series with Cleveland, or maybe they have been eliminated. This is important information! Tomorrow I will know.
October 11th. I awoke at 6:00 AM (my usual ship wake up time) to find us in a thick fog. We had anchored late last evening at the mouth of the Thames. We will proceed up the river a certain distance and rendezvous with a pilot boat late morning for the remainder of the passage to Canary Wharf. I believe Canary Wharf is on the Jubilee tube line which should prove convenient. Claudia's flight comes in tomorrow morning early. We have agreed to meet in the restaurant in the
basement of St Martin in the Field church in Trafalgar Square. We have a B&B booked for several nights.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your postings are starting to take on the bona fide look of a real ships log - I think rhythm of the sea and the routine of ships life is turning you into a regular 'old salt'. Enjoy London - fog and all.
Love and best wishes
Jan & Gary
Hi Dad!
I'm sure you enjoyed your time with Mum in London. She was more excited than I've ever seen her about going on this trip to see you...
You are back at sea again which means you can't watch Boston try to tie up the series with Cleveland tonight. It was a super game on Friday night, with the Sox absolutely clobbering the Indians! When I went to bed on Saturday night around midnight, the Sox were up one run. The next morning I learned the horrible truth: Cleveland returned the clobbering.
I missed last night's game, and now I'm waiting for Barna's show to be over so I can see what's happening in game 4. I know you won't believe me, but I'm sorry the Yanks didn't make it through. You see, I think the Sox would have less trouble beating them than the Indians in the ALCS!
I'm mainly sending this message so that you won't forget that we think of you every day, that's Barna and the girls and me, and you are greatly missed.
It has already been a month and a half, and it feels like ages and ages...
I saw one picture of you onboard and it looks like you're enjoying yourself and joking around and smiling, so it's good to see you're being your regular self. The kids at Acadia sure are missing out this fall...
Hugs and kisses,
S. and the Hali-Tugs
Post a Comment