Tuesday, October 16, 2007

More scenes from the voyage (Incl. logs from Oct. 2nd and 3rd)


Wind turbines, Copenhagen harbour


View from above...


Another view from above


Sunset for a sailor


Sunset first night at sea


Stern Barbados flag


Playful advice


Berthing area, Copenhagen


My classroom




Ladas "r" us











October 2nd

Many of us took the train to Hamburg at 10:05 AM. I mention the exact time as I was so impressed with their rail transportation system, both in its punctuality and comfort, and in its pricing strategies. Up to five could travel on one 28 euro ticket (return) within a 24 hour period. The train left exactly on the minute, and 42 minutes later we were at the main station in Hamburg. This is a city flattened in the war, so there is less of an old world feeling than there would be otherwise. And it is a busy port city, with all the "aspects" that entails. Still, it was interesting to walk about. Our little group was assisted by a German speaking friend of one of the Concordia's relief captains. He gave an informal tour of the down town sites, and we took a harbour boat cruise for the rest. I managed to get to the area (a most undesirable one I might add) where the Beatles first played back in 1960. I took a picture of the club; I wouldn?t want to be around it during its open hours! We ate lunch at an outside patio overlooking the water, and had supper back in the old region of the city (near the train station). I was back to Lubeck and in bed by 10:30. It was a quiet night on the ship with all the "Gap" students staying at a youth hostel in Hamburg.

October 3rd

This is a German holiday, reunification day, so I don't know how many shops will be open. It is a beautiful morning (yesterday was sunny and warm too) with a tour of a museum scheduled for 10:00 AM. (We are within walking distance of the museum.) I went for a run on my own this morning at 6:45. Fitness was canceled for the day because with all of the comings and goings of the in port program the students are
worn out. My run took me across a bridge into the former East Germany. It is fascinating to contemplate the political changes during the years since ?the wall? came down.

There is an organ concert later this afternoon in a cathedral a short walk from the ship. Richard (my cabin mate) and I intend to go. I don't know how many students are interested.

The professional crew work on a rotation, generally 6 months on, 3 months off. Yesterday one of the engineers left (Marek Chorepa). His Polish replacement arrives today joining Krzysztof Grzybowski. I include the names here just to show that I have finally mastered them after a month or so. The captain and his two daughters (one being Kasia Zawadowicz, an audit student in my two classes) leave the ship in London, as does Lauren, the first mate, and Amanda, the bosun.

No comments: